Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Some questionable editing?

As a journalism student, I realize that editing errors happen. After you've been looking at an article for a few hours, you tend to just skip right over those little misspellings and word mis-uses. However, I would tend to expect a little more from a professional news outlet. I signed onto Boston.com the other day and looked at two articles. There was really no reason for why I picked those articles, I just clicked on an interesting headline. And within those two articles, I found 3 editing errors. And they were big errors, errors that made the sentence not make sense. These are the typos:

"Much *or* Baghdad must be seen from behind the safety of armor."- The Long Way-Iraq After Five Years

"Abu Samer (second from left), head of the reconciliation committee of Aamel, walked *the of the* Rashid district of Baghdad with soldiers from the US Army's 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment."- The Long War Iraq After Five Years

"She tells of being raped day and night for three months, and then being dumped *her* by the side of the road, her internal organs severely damaged."- In Congo, confronting legacy of rape

The way I figured it, if there were three errors found that quickly, the site must be packed full of them. So I e-mailed the Globe and let them know about it. I got this in response:

Good Morning:
Thank you for writing to Boston.com. We have corrected the typos you noticed at the following addresses:
http://www.boston.com/news/world/gallery/Iraq_fifth_anniversary_special_coverage/
http://www.boston.com/news/world/gallery/Iraq_fifth_anniversary_special_coverage?pg=8
http://www.boston.com/news/world/blog/2008/03/rape_weaponized.html

In addition, we have forwarded your comments about this to our editorial team.

Kind regards,
Customer Support
Boston.com

I suppose that's a satisfactory response, although I question whether my comments will make any kind of a difference to the editorial team.

No comments: